Verse of the Day

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1 Corinthians 7-11

The last chapter of this set of scriptures is a chapter that has many opinions out there. Please keep in mind, that I am not judging anyone, I am just giving you what I believe to be the truth. If you think I am wrong, or if you wish to discuss it further, please leave a comment. I welcome them anytime.


February 19, 2010
1 Corinthians 7-11

Chapter 7, verses 3-5: "Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence : and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not fot your incontinency."
 I will admit, these verses are ones that I struggle with on a daily basis. I do not enjoy sex. My husband knows this, and we are working on it, but I have a hard time remembering that my husband is in control of my body. Just as I am in control of his. You know, it has always been said to me that women are to do what their husbands want, in this area of their lives. The husband is in charge of her body. It is her duty to please her husband. Recently, though, it was brought to my attention, that the very first part of these verses say, "Let the husband render to the wife due benevolence...". Doesn't this mean that the husband is also to please his wife? I think so. It is not always the wife's duty to please her husband, though she should want to, but it is also the husband's duty to do what the wife needs, too.

Chapter 8, verse 13: "Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend."
   Just as we had read back in Romans, if something we are doing (which we are convinced that it is okay between ourselves and God) is causing a brother to sin, then we need to respect them enough to not do that thing anymore. It is better to sacrifice this one thing  and go to Heaven with our brother, than to keep it and lose our brother to Hell Fire and risk our own soul, too, by putting that stumbling block there.

Chapter 10, verses 12 &13: "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."
   We need to always be on guard. Any temptation could bring us down. We need to remember to ask God to help us. He will, if we ask.

Verse 31: "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
   Whatever we do, we need to let our light shine for God. The world needs to know that we are Children of God. Everything we do, needs to show our love for Him.

Chapter 11, verses 3-16:
   These verses are ones that everyone has their own opinions about. I'll give you mine. This is what I truely believe that God says to us, about these verses. I welcome your comments about these verses.

Verse 4: "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head."
   If a man is wearing something on his head, when he is praying, then he is sinning. In verse 3, it talks of the head of the man being Christ, and the head of the woman is the man, and the head of Christ being God. If a man covers his head when he prays, then he is covering Christ, is he not? I believe that he is. We are to pray to God through Christ, yet, if the man is covering Christ, how can his prayer get through to God?

Verse 5: "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven."
   The head of the woman is the man, so if we pray to God with our heads uncovered, then are we praying through our husbands? But, if we cover our head when we pray, then the man is covered and we can go through Jesus Christ. We cannot pray to God through our husbands, we are to pray to God through Christ. This means that we MUST have our heads covered, when we pray.

Verses 7 &10:
   I'm not a hundred percent sure what they mean for sure. Maybe one of you could tell me.

Verses 13&14: "Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?"
   Does it look right for a woman to pray without a covering? And isn't it wrong for a man to have long hair?

Verse 15: "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
   It doesn't say that a woman has to have long hair, because it is a glory to her. It says that if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her. Since we are to cover our head when we pray, God has given us a natural covering. And since it is a glory for us, wouldn't we want long hair? If our hair is cut short, like a man's, then how is it any longer considered a covering? I don't think it can be. A man is sinning if he has long hair. Therefore, he cuts it short and has no covering. A woman cuts her hair short, then she has no covering, either. I don't know what length we should have our hair, but I'm willing to bet that it needs to be long enough to cover us, or we better invest in some sort of veil. I'm not talking about little caps. I believe that all they do is, cover the top of our head, and they don't truely cover us. I believe that the meaning of the word covering is like a veil. Veils cover our heads, like long hair does. Does it not make since, then, to keep our hair at a length that can cover our head like a veil? And if we can't grow our hair out to that desired length, then souldn't we have a veil to cover our head when we pray?

Verse 16: "But if any man seem contentious, we have no such custom, Neither the churches of God."
  I've heard two seperate versions to what this verse means. One is: We don't have a custom to be contentious in the Body of Christ. The other one is: We don't have a custom of wearing veils in the Body of Chist. I don't know what exactly this verse means, but does it make sense to us that Paul would go to all the trouble to write about this, if it wasn't important? God gave Paul the wisdom to write these verses. Don't we need to heed to them? Think about what you believe, and PLEASE let me know. I truely want yo know what my readers think about this.

And remember, to be nice in your comments. We are not to judge each other. We are to love one another and help each other.

The next set of verses will be Isaiah 29-33.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive