Verse of the Day

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Matthew 5-9

Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Matthew 5-9

These five chapters have so many things in them. My absolute favorite verses are in this set of chapters.

Chapter 5, verses 14-16: "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before me, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."
These verses mean so much to me. Everytime I pray, I ask God to help me be a shining example to those around me. To me, Lighthouses represent that shining light. That's why I chose the names for my blogs, and why I have the lighthouses on both blogs. It's also why we chose to name our homeschool 'Lighthouse School for Boys'.

Chapter 5, verse 39: "But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."
This verse is something that I think most people have a problem with. As humans, it is hard to follow. I've been trying to teach my boys this concept. They are having a hard time with it.

Chapter 6, verse 34: "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. ..."
It's very hard to not think and worry about the future. I am a big worrier. I always worry about what might or might not happen.

Chapter 7, verse 6: "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, Neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
I have a childhood friend who has decided that the Chistian Life is not something she can do. There are so many people who tried to help her this past year. She just didn't care. I continue to feel as though there must have been something else I could have done. But when I think of her, I also think of this verse. The things she would say and do, made me cringe. I fear for her, but I don't think there is anything else that we CAN do. We all did everything we could think of. It's up to God. But this verse is very true. She was just trampling on our pearls. Please pray for her. There is so much more to this story than I can share, without it turning to gossip.

Chapter 7, verse 12: "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them:..."
This is another verse I'm trying to get my boys to understand.

Chapter 8, verse 26: "...Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith?...:
Do we have enough faith to not be afraid of what might happen in our lives?

I'll post about Job 4-6, later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive